Trae Young: The Next Steph Curry?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trae Young: The Next Steph Curry?

Dominic Tagliaferri, Writer

One of the NBA’s most entertaining players is surprising the whole league by his recent performances! Trae Young is a 6’2” rookie, who began his career playing for University of Oklahoma before working his way up to a point guard position on the Atlanta Hawks team. His last year in college, he was one of the most exciting players in NCAA, and he is on the road to a great season so far. He was selected fifth overall in the 2018 NBA Draft, and is expected to do big things as he transitions to professional basketball.

Trae Young was a great three-point shooter in college, and has continued to live up to this title so far in the NBA. Some people are saying that he could eventually develop into a player like Stephen Curry. Trae averages three three-pointers a game and has undoubtedly shown fans his potential for greatness, most notably when he played the Cleveland Cavaliers and scored 35 points and six three-pointers. If he is doing this well in just the beginning of his rookie season, who knows how much he could improve later into his career?

Curry averages about 35 points and seven assists per game; this is one of the best starts to a season he has ever had, and right now he is MVP material. Young is averaging 22 points and eight assists per game. These are very good stats for a new player, and he is on his way to having a phenomenal season. During his rookie season, Stephen Curry averaged 18 points, 4 lower than Trae Young.

During games, Stephen Curry plays with a unique style. He is one of the best drivers and finishers in NBA, and at the same time is one of the best shooters. He holds the second place record for three-pointers made in a game when he scored thirteen three-pointers. So far, we can already tell that Young has this same potential to become one of the best players in the NBA some day.

With all of this information, how talented is Trae Young really? We will have a better analysis of him by the end of the season, and clearer predictions about his later career. Could he be better than Steph Curry, or even better? We’ll have to watch and find out!