An Update on the Juuling Epidemic

Back to Article
Back to Article

An Update on the Juuling Epidemic

Lucy Whiteford, Copy Editor

The Juul is a popular vaping device that was originally created as a healthier and “more satisfying” alternative to cigarettes for adult use only. However, this relatively new e-cigarette has fallen into the hands of adolescents across the globe and become a widely notorious trend. If you don’t already know what a Juul is and how it functions, let me break it down for you: the vaporizer comes in two parts and closely resembles a USB, making it simple for teens to use it discreetly in any setting, including the classroom. Upon taking a “hit” there is an almost immediate nicotine buzz, making the Juul highly addictive, especially for younger kids. In the past year, The Roar produced an article focused on the health effects of Juuling when the device first surfaced back in 2017, but this article will instead address the prospective long-term issues that could arise as a result of this dangerous trend that doesn’t seem to be coming to an end anytime soon.

The biggest problem with the Juul is that because it has only existed for just over a year now, there is not much we know about their physical and psychological effects. This is extremely frightening because it is similar to the time period after World War I, in which cigarette smoking became popular and acceptable for the people of America to participate in. By the 1950s, about half the population of industrialized nations smoked cigarettes due to the fact that the product was cheap, legal, and socially acceptable. The world now knows the harmful effects of smoking cigarettes, and addicts who started early on are paying the price; however, because the Juul is so new, society has no idea what health problems could arise from its long-term or short-term use.

Recently, a text message went viral claiming that a nineteen-year-old who had never been exposed to marijuana or cigarettes was diagnosed with lung cancer from excessive Juuling. A screenshot of the iMessage was posted on several popular Instagram accounts, and the official Juul account responded in outrage, declaring that the information was fake. It has not yet been confirmed if the story is actually true, but the possibility of someone so young being diagnosed with lung cancer is alarming, and should serve as a wake up call for today’s youth.

Our generation considers the Juul as “safe” and less harmful than cigarettes, but don’t let the device’s sleek appearance fool you; today’s youth is the first to be exposed to this new technology, the guinea pigs in a worldwide experiment. Just because there have not been any telltale signs of long-term health effects from Juuling, it doesn’t mean we are in the clear. Those who have been smoking cigarettes since the 50s are paying the price, and it would be unfortunate if our generation had to look back years from now with the same regret. There is in fact some research on the effects of Juuling, which has been proven to be destructive; however, until there have been more studies conducted on the extent to which these Juuls are harming us, do not risk your life. A ten second headrush is not worth it.

If you are curious about the explicit effects that a Juul has on your body, you can find more information at http://stillblowingsmoke.org/#kids.