What is Happening to the Bees?

Shannon Sutherland, Writer

The movement to save the bees has flared up now and again in mainstream media, but with little consistency and follow through. Bees are integral to the health and survival of our planet and our way of life. Without honeybees, our planet’s plants and wildlife would suffer greatly, as would our own lifestyles. Because of this, it is important to pay attention to bees and make sure that we are doing everything we can to help them thrive. This past year, there have been only murmurs here and there in the media about the state of our beloved buzzing friends. So how are they doing right now?

Good news! The bees are doing well. Despite scary headlines reading “Declining honeybee population could spell trouble for some crops,” (Fox News) and “Death and Extinction of the Bees,” (Center for Research on Globalization), the bee population is actually doing swimmingly (or buzzingly?) well according to the American Council of Science and Health. In fact, according to figures released by the U.S Department of Agriculture, the world population of honeybees is actually steadily increasing. This is relieving news for our taste buds, our agricultural industries, and our planet’s ecosystem. While the increasingly present effects of climate change and man-made disruption of the natural world are impending threats on the population, there is currently no deadly decline of bees happening presently.

However, that does not mean that there could not be one in the near future. The beloved and crucial honeybee population may fall victim to the effects of climate change in the coming decades if measures are not taken to support and help them thrive. Here are just a couple things you can do to make a difference and help promote the health of the bee population:

1. Buy organic produce. Pesticides are not only harmful to our own bodies, but they are a bee-killer as well. Supporting organic farmers is an effective way to help the bees while also helping yourself.
  2. Plant some flowers. One big threat to bees is a lack of habitat due to man-made disruptions, so cultivating even a small cluster of garden at your house is helpful.
  3. Plant a tree. You can do this by yourself or with a group in your community. Bees rely heavily on trees for habitat, and trees provide bees with a significant portion of their nectar. Supporting trees is supporting bees.
  4. Support your local beekeeper. Beekeepers are important to the health of the bee population because they keep and nurture them. Buying local honey or beeswax products is a good way to support them, and therefore help bees.

Taking care of the bee population is essential to taking care of our planet. The survival of bees is the survival life as we know it, and taking the time to educate yourself and make sure you are being helpful instead of harmful goes a long way. By going the extra mile to be bee friendly, we creating solid, vital change in our community which benefits bees, the planet, and ourselves.