New Clubs at Marin Catholic: Hip Hop Club, MC A Capella, and Roar Core

Back to Article
Back to Article

Julia Joyce '15, Writer

Clubs! Clubs! Clubs! This year Marin Catholic has stepped up its game and added several new clubs to the already numerous opportunities to get involved! A fan of hip hop? Like to sing sans instruments? Enjoy cheering on your fellow Wildcats? Well, there’s a club for you!

This year, some of the stand-out new clubs include the Hip Hop Club, MC A Capella, and Roar Core! I spoke to several members of each club to hear about the club’s progress and the challenges it faces being new on the block.

Hip Hop Club

Hip Hop Club

Feeling a lack in appreciation for Hip Hop, founders Melena King and Peter Jankowski decided to found this club. Their hope is to bring people together to appreciate Hip Hop and dance. There are plans in motion on forming a crew, choreographing some awesome new dances, and hopefully showing off their sick moves at future MC events. Keep a look out for these guys; they’re looking for new members!

MC A Capella

MC A Capella

Channeling their inner “Gleek,” the members of MC A Capella have decided to tackle singing without the aid of instruments. Juniors Lena Hymel and Carimei Smith are two stand-out singers who help the club find their melodies and harmonies.  Without instruments to guide them, it can be tough mastering an individual part, but both girls put a lot of effort into creating learning tracks for all of the members. On their way to sounding angelic, the club members face the challenge of picking songs and creating setlists.The group’s productivity and unity hinge on its surveys: everyone has a say in what the group sings. Look out for their amazing performances in the future!

Roar Core

Roar Core

It’s time for the Wildcats to “Roar!” in this year’s new club, Roar Core! Ms. Maloney, Mr. Callan, and Ms. Smith lead some of the most spirited students at Marin Catholic in attempt to make every single extracurricular group at MC feel supported. From field hockey to tennis to Mock Trial and the school play, these guys rally to support everyone. Don’t miss an opportunity to join their loud cheers! Attend a sports game and receive a free t-shirt, along with an opportunity to skip your polo on designated days!