Humans of Marin Catholic: Mr. Lippi, the Garcia Twins, Mr. Carpenter, and Tori Tarantino

Djosy Charles, Writer

In the last edition of the paper, we at The Roar introduced you to “Humans of Marin Catholic,” a concept modeled after Brandon Stanton’s Humans of New York. Like Humans of New York, “Humans of MC” aims to highlight and honor remarkable human beings. Without further ado, The Roar presents to you the first-ever production of “Humans of Marin Catholic.”

Mr. Lippi

Mr. Lippi

Mr. Lippi, Sarah Coduto ’15

What are you happiest about right now?

“What am I happiest about? I’m happiest about the fact that my daughter and her husband are home, safe from a year away; that both of my children are doing good work and are healthy; that I’m getting healthier; and that I still love my job.”

Give one piece of advice.

“Find something you love to do and work very, very hard at it; always be mindful of others and put your mindfulness into action; and avoid eating a lot of salami when you’re younger.”

What’s your perfect pizza?

“To tell you the truth, the perfect pizza is the Margherita, which is the simple tomato sauce and cheese on a thin crust. New York style. There’s no argument there — that is the perfect pizza.”

If you could have one meal for the rest of your life, what would it be?

“I would have my mother’s roast beef, cross-ribbed roast, with rice pilaf  and baby artichokes, and yellow cake with chocolate frosting for dessert — which is what she made me for my birthday my whole life.”

What’s your favorite word?

“I’m a big fan of the word– although not the feeling — lugubrious. It makes me happy, even though it means gloomy.”

What famous person do people tell you you resemble?

“Apparently lately, I remind people of Phil from Hercules. People told me back when that I reminded them of Robin Williams’s character in Dead Poets Society.”

Tell me someone at this school that everyone knows and describe them in 5 words.

“Tom Thompson. Learned, Devoted, Humble, Threadbare, Funny”

Give us three words that describe you.

“I think passionate, searching, and happy.”

Jenna and Caroline Garcia

Jenna and Caroline

Jenna and CarolineSarah Coduto ’15

What’s your favorite thing about your sister?

J: “I like how she’s so random. She just makes everything fun.”

C: “I like how she keeps me grounded when I’m a little too crazy sometimes, or when I don’t know how to react to situations she always knows what to do.”

J: “Thanks.”

Do you have any nicknames for one another?

J: “Carol.”

C: “Kid and Po.”

What’s your best memory with each other?

J: “Our 6th grade talent show, me and Caroline dressed up as penguins. Our other friend did it with us, but right when we went on stage she got really scared. So me and Carol had to improv, and we made up this little game on stage while we were in penguin costumes. So yeah, that was my favorite.”

C: “Probably every summer when we go to North Carolina and visit my mom’s family, and we just goof around on the beach and are obnoxious to random people. I think it’s funny.”

What are you happiest about right now?

C: “Senior year.”

J: “I’m just happy. I’m having a good time in high school, have a lot of good friends, and I have a great family.”

If you could give a general piece of advice what would it be?

J: “Get off your phone.”

C: “Mine would be ‘Don’t stress about the little things’ because we’re so lucky to live here and to have all the stuff we have. People stress about ‘Oh, my hair doesn’t look good today.’ Well, people are starving. So always appreciate what you have.”

Mr. Carpenter

Mr. Carpenter

Mr. CarpenterSarah Coduto ’15

Where did your first name (Orin) come from?

“That’s funny you should ask. My mom wanted unique names for her boys (I have an older brother), and she tried different places to find it, and at the time she was pregnant with me, she started watching different soap operas. And I think it was either Guiding Light or General Hospital that there was a gentleman who was a tycoon, and she said, ‘I like that name, and that’s different, and maybe if I name my son Orin, he’ll be a tycoon.’ So that hasn’t happened yet.”

What’s your greatest struggle right now?

“I’m going through that middle-age crisis right now. Being a former athlete where my body is deteriorating where I can’t do a lot of things, can’t move as fast, can’t move as quick. It’s kind of an awakening. It’s not as depressing now, but it’s putting things in perspective because I realize I can do things a lot smarter now. That’s the biggest struggle for me; having to adjust. Having to adjust how I do things because I’m always energetic. When I was kid I was one of those kids that never sat still, so that’s the biggest struggle for me right now.”

Give one piece of advice.

“It sounds pretty cliché, but you have to live life to the fullest. Each day is a gift, and realize you can’t control everything that happens in your life, but you can  always control how you respond and how you respond will give you that quality in life.”

What was your worst punishment as a child?

“I got in trouble all the time. I was one of those kids. I do remember when I was young in Memphis, Tennessee, we had this Magic Show called The Dick Williams Show and it showed on Sundays and kids could actually come and be a part of the audience… I was supposed to go but I got in trouble so I couldn’t go to the magic show that time. So I was kind of bummed. However, I got a chance to redeem myself, but I deserved it. I deserved it.”

Name three things in nature you find most beautiful.

“Sunsets, mountains — this is cheating — but can I say animals?”

What is your favorite part of the human face and why?

“Eyes and the mouth. For eyes, it’s the old cliché: the eyes are the window to the soul and you can tell a lot in a person’s eyes — how they feel, how they’re affected. But I think the mouth, too, because of the smile. You also can tell what’s going on in a person’s life just in just the way that they hold their mouth. It’s kind of subtle, but doing portraitures, you kind of tend to notice that.”

Tell me about someone you truly admire at this school and describe them in five words.

“Mr. Novak. Passionate, Intuitive, Creative, Humble, and Intelligent.”

What’s your favorite word?

“Joy.”

Least favorite word?

“Can’t.”

Tori Tarantino

Tori Tarantino

Tori Tarantino, Sarah Coduto ’15

What’s your spirit animal?

“A dolphin. I’ve always liked dolphins.”

What do you miss about your feeder school?

“There were lots of little kids there and they all knew my name and I could say hi to them. So, I miss them.”

What’s your favorite word?

“Giggly.”

Least favorite word?

“ Moist (laughs).

What are you happiest about right now?

“Being interviewed by you guys. Being done with water polo. I have no sports now so I’m free and it’s weird. Never been free before.”

Greatest struggle?

“Math. Actually, it’s not that great, but it’s the only struggle I have. It’s a good struggle to have, if you have one.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Humans of Marin Catholic: Mr. Lippi, the Garcia Twins, Mr. Carpenter, and Tori Tarantino”

1. Nicole on December 2nd, 2014 8:07 pm

This was a fun article to read! I love the spotlight on various faces at MC. We’re blessed to have these humans.

*

• Humans of Marin Catholic: Mr. Lippi, the Garcia Twins, Mr. Carpenter, and Tori Tarantino

The Recent Congressional Election and Its’ Significance in American Politics

Childhood Memories with Ms. R

Opinion

What do AP classes even do?

Carnivàle

The Current State of Immigration and its Effect on the Government

A State of Emergency: What To Know and Is It Really Necessary

Childhood Memories with Mr. Thompson

A Marin Catholic Revamp

The Last Blockbuster

What is Happening to the Bees?