The Consequences of Russia’s Meddling in U.S. Elections

Back to Article
Back to Article

Manuel Rodriguez, Writer

Russia has had a spotlight in the news recently, as the root of many political controversies that lead back to the election of Trump back in 2016. Evidence from the Robert Muller investigation proved that Russia interfered with the elections, securing Donald Trump the presidency. When uncovering this information it was even revealed that politicians in the White House associated with Trump had attempted to cover Russia’s tracks in the election.

When it was first brought to the public’s attention that there might have been a possible interference in the 2016 election, many Democrats and Republicans went back and forth arguing whether it should be investigated. Finally, the FBI launched an investigation lead by Robert Muller to determine Russia’s involvement in the election. The FBI reported that many Republican politicians and aides that supported Trump had been in “cahoots with Russia”, meddling in the election. This caused many changes within the Trump administration to occur in order to save face after the crimes committed were exposed.

Trump spontaneously fired James Comey, the director of the FBI when he publicly announced the Russia investigation. After the investigation twelve Russian intelligence officers were caught red handed hacking into the Democratic National Committee, Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee and Hillary Clinton’s campaign during the 2016 election. Revealing to the public that the election of Trump was ensured by Russia’s meddling. The Russian controversy doesn’t just end in 2016 but, now continues with a new accusation against Russia involving the midterms. Russian internet trolls have created fake social media accounts to influence the upcoming midterms.

Recently the U.S Government charged a Russian woman, Elena Alekseevna Khusyaynova with “sowing discord in the US political system” and meddling in the U.S Midterms. Khusyaynova was in control of an operation called Project Lakhta ,which amplified controversial topics by creating fake social media accounts which stoked heated debates between Americans. The contentious fake social media accounts talked about immigration, gun control, gun rights, the Confederate flag, race relations, LGBT issues, the Women’s March and the NFL national anthem debate. This created a larger drift among Americans, caused by their own opinions in contrast to those of others.

Federal officials say that they “believe that midterms election ballots would be safe”, but the words believing and knowing are two very different things as there is a possibility that outside forces will tamper with the midterms. This creates the illusion of democracy, however the government of the people could now be a government of outside forces, not only the citizens.

The Muller investigation concluded that there was no tampering with votes in the 2016 election, but who is to say that it won’t happen in the near future. If Russia could meddle with elections in the United States then other countries could do the same to perpetuate the downfall of democracy. The fact that Russia played a part in the US election in 2016 means that voters on November 6 don’t have definite security in their impact, as many outside forces like Russia, and other foreign countries can infiltrate our Democracy.  This growing problem in the election of political officials is one that has yet to have a solution and goes to show that there will always be the chance of injustice in countries that prescribe to the idea of democracy.