Together We Rise: A Powerful Behind-The-Scenes Look at The Women’s March

Back to Article
Back to Article

Adeleine Trombley, Writer

Together We Rise: Behind the Scenes at the Protest Heard around the World is as beautiful as it is powerful. Written by the the organizers of the Women’s March along with Condé Nast, the book allows the public to go backstage to see all the planning that went into creating the largest single day protest in the world. By combining interviews with the main coordinators and deeply personal essays from feminist activists from around the world, the book successfully paints the whole picture of just how much this march meant to people. The book focuses on the idea that through a person’s faults and failures, greatness can be achieved with reflection of one’s own self and the desire to be a better person.

Through personal words from the organizers, readers can see just how much these people relied on trial and error to create this day. These organizers were a mismatched group of women that put their lives on hold to create something that was bigger than themselves and that would last forever in history. Women from all backgrounds, religions, jobs and lifestyles teamed up and worked together while teaching each other how to be their best selves for their own families, friends and people around them. While the book could have painted these women as perfect versions of themselves, it didn’t, making the book much more powerful. At many points the organizers say “We did this wrong” or “She didn’t know how to do that,” but those lines were always followed up with “So we fixed it” or “She learned to do that.” The interviews showed the organizers to be real people, with faults and problems that allowed readers to feel a connection with them and hope that they too, with all their faults and problems, can contribute their talents to a cause they care about.

The book wasn’t just about the organizers though, it was about every single person who showed up to march around the world. The movement says that it is for everyone; the book shows it. There are essays from teenagers asking their peers to rise with them,  people who marched with MLK, mothers and fathers hoping for a better world for their children, and actors and actresses pledging their support. There are deeply personal reflections from people who didn’t support the movement until after they saw the impact of the march to the people who were some of the first to share it on Facebook. The book shows the vast number of people that wanted to be a part of the movement.

In the aftermath of much hate early on in the organization of the march, National Organizer, Mrinalini Chakraborty said,  “It doesn’t matter how afraid I am… my face needs to be up on the website to let people see that everybody is a part of this fights. If that inspires even 10 people to believes that they can do this too, that’s what is needed.” All of the organizers put their own safety in danger because they knew that they could have an impact on future generations. This confidence and hope for the future is one that all people should be inspired by because the greatness of the Women’s March came from a small group of women feeling the necessity to do something. Without any plan or training these women joined together in hopes of impacting a few people, but with the power of shear will they impacted an entire movement and generations to come.