Advice for New Wildcats from Current MC Students

Marin Catholic Class of 2021 Link Crew Orientation

Lucy Whiteford '19, Copy Editor

Welcome, incoming freshmen! You are about to transition into a completely new chapter of your adolescence, and I want to equip you with some helpful skills so that you all can get through your first year as smoothly as possible! Here are 5 tips that I think will be the most applicable for starting out here at Marin Catholic.

1. Get Involved! I know that everyone says this, but I can’t stress it enough. Being involved in athletics, art, music, or whatever it is that you’re interested in makes all the difference in how your freshman experience is going to play out. Feeling like you are a part of something is extremely helpful when coming to a new school, and even if you don’t have many interests, try something new! You would be surprised how much of an impact it makes, and you will meet a lot of new people.
  2. Don’t be too stressed about finding your friends. Freshman year is an unorganized jumble of people trying to get to know everyone. Don’t get too caught up with what friend group you’re going to be in; first of all, it will most likely change a lot before Sophomore year rolls around, and second, you will eventually end up where you’re supposed to be. One of the things about Marin Catholic that makes it so great is that it’s small enough that you can get to know everyone, but also big enough so that you have a lot of friend options! You will find your people, trust me.
  3. Explore your faith. This one is big. I know a lot of you are probably already pretty religiously involved, but Marin Catholic takes spirituality to an entirely different level. Do your best to absorb the material learned in Theology class, and pay close attention during our monthly masses. MC has an incredible amount of opportunities for spiritual growth, and although you don’t have to participate, you should try it, because it could open many doors for you. Retreats are also an amazing, impactful way to become closer to God, or just to learn more about your belief system in general.
  4. Stay Organized. This is definitely the most important tip for those who want to keep their grades up. Some of you had finals in middle school, but those of you who did not are most likely unprepared for the upcoming process. Throughout your year, make sure to keep all of your notes, old tests, quizzes and projects from each class neat and tidy and in a place you can easily access them. It’s always wildly stressful when the end of the semester catches up to you and you have no clue where that old study guide or homework assignment is. Use any resources provided by your teacher, and take a look at their class page to see what assignments, units, and projects are coming up, Also, DO NOT PROCRASTINATE! It’s vital to create good study habits freshman year, so that the rest of high school will be as stress-free as possible.
  5. Make the most of your very first year of high school! You only have 4 years here, and they all go by way too quickly. Make sure that you balance out your schedule so that you have enough time for activities, schoolwork, and spending time with your friends and family. Don’t get too caught up in drama or thinking about college. You’re young! Enjoy your year and live life to the fullest!

1 Comment

One Response to “Freshman Tips”

1. Gage Mclennan on September 27th, 2017 10:56 am

Great Article

[Reply]

*

• Freshman Tips

Meet your 2017 Homecoming Princesses!

• Freshman Tips

Opinion: What we can learn from Charlottesville

• Freshman Tips

What Is CRISPR, and why should I care?

• Freshman Tips

Dance Team: Who’s Got that Wildcat Beat?

• Freshman Tips

Humans of Marin Catholic: Kristen Bell, Ms. Collins, Mr. Manfredi

• Freshman Tips

• Freshman Tips

ASB Update

ASB Update: August 2017

• Freshman Tips

Featured Sports Story

Oregon Bound: Spencer Petras ’18 on his commitment to Oregon State

• Freshman Tips

The Olympics: The Road to South Korea

• Freshman Tips

#JustMCThings