SAT & ACT Helpful Tips

Shannon Sutherland '18, Writer

We all know that SAT and ACT season is busy and stressful to say the least. Juniors, you could be juggling AP classes, studying for standardized tests, and college research on top of the regular ups and downs of social and home life. That’s a lot of stuff! It’s important to keep a close eye on your mental and physical health during this time, so I’m here to offer a few tips on how to better prepare yourself for standardized tests to take away some stress. Here are just a few to help you efficiently and effectively study for the ACT or SAT:
1. Make a schedule and stick to it. Having specific times set aside during the week will help ensure that you study enough, and don’t leave a ton of work to do last minute.
2. Khan Academy is a free, high quality way to study for standardized tests, and is an especially valuable resource if you don’t have the means to experiment with tutoring or other resources that cost money. They offer an easily accessible program that assesses your practice test scores and sets up a personalized curriculum and schedule, which caters specifically to what you need practice with. All you need to do is set up a Khan Academy account.
3. Practice Runs are definitely a good idea. Not only do they give you experience with the test’s style and timed nature, but also an idea of where your scores are and how well you are doing.
4. Flashcards are great ways to learn tricky words, practice solving problems quickly, and memorize information that will help you go through the test smoothly. Physical flashcards are available in places like Barnes & Noble and Amazon, along with other helpful resources like workbook practice tests.
5. Apps!! Some days are just too busy to sit down and do some decent studying at home or school, so don’t be hesitant to use apps for on-the-go studying instead. Apps like SAT Up, SAT Math, ACT Up, and ACT Online Prep are fantastic options produced by the test makers themselves.
These are just a handful of resources and suggestions to help make studying for standardized tests more organized (and less excruciating!!). Everyone absorbs information in different ways, so it’s up to each of you to experiment and find out which methods work best for you. Good luck!