Spotlight on Varsity Girls Basketball

Kalyb Champion '18, Writer

The Marin Catholic Varsity girls basketball team is in a heated battle atop the MCAL standings. The Wildcats are currently 11-8 overall this season and 5-3 in league play tied for for 4th place. However they are just one game behind San Marin and Redwood (who they just beat this week) who are tied for second.

I have complete confidence that MC can make their way atop the standings with relative ease. This team has arguably the deepest bench in MCAL’s and have an incredible bond off and on the court. Varsity forward and team captain Chase Geffert describes their chemistry as their greatest strength, saying “the greatest strength is how close we are, both on and off the court. We spend so much time together as a team and it really shows in our team chemistry.” Shooting guard Katrina Murray describes her relationship with her teammates saying “we love each other as sisters.” Chase and Katrina are very valuable members to the Wildcats success. Chase has a Draymond Green-type role for MC playing anywhere from point guard to power forward. She is top five in the league in rebounds per game with almost 8, assists with about 3 and 1.3 blocks per game! Katrina is one of the leaders of this team, not only with her play on the court especially on the defensive end racking up steals, but also with her vocal leadership making sure to direct her teammates in the right direction for success. This is important because the Wildcats tend to not come out with enough energy from the jump.

When asked about the team’s biggest challenge Chase and Katrina both had similar answers. Chase said “Our biggest challenge is definitely coming out with a lot of energy from the very first play. We find ourselves struggling to score points in the first half because of a lack of energy and then have to figure out how to come back from a deficit in the second half.” Katrina also mentioned “Our greatest challenge is executing plays and instructions and staying mentally in the game.” This is an extremely talented group of girls. They will be able to control their destiny and possibly win a MCAL championship if they can execute from the opening tip and be mentally engaged and focused. They have the team chemistry and obviously the skill but those small details are what makes a good team great.