What’s Your Story?

Lauren Lombardi '18, Writer

The theme of the second annual Marin Catholic storytelling event was “Busted”, but what made this event special was the different interpretation of the word by each of the eleven speakers. The speakers in both casts consisted of sophomores, juniors, seniors, and teachers, each sharing their own story and opinion on what the word “Busted” meant to them. The result was a series of funny, informative, and eye-opening talks in the course of one hour. If you missed it, I highly recommend going on the MC website and watching the videos.
It must have taken loads of courage to stand up in front of half the school and reveal personal stories about themselves, especially with the theme “busted” you never know what the story could be about. The ability to stand up and speak your mind says almost as much about the speaker as what the stories reveal. It’s important to thank all the people who spoke and appreciate the inside to what they gave us in revealing their lives and feelings.
Stories about little girls’ hamsters, torn up cigarettes, and a shattered arm had meaningful morals, some deeper than others but all insightful. When asked about the moral of Ms. McInnes’ story, she offered up a playful response saying “Parents can be busted too!” That seemed to be the ongoing theme throughout the speeches: serious morals wrapped up in funny stories. Although at first glance the stories don’t seem to offer much but a good laugh, with a reexamination they show true reality.

Senior Brajaé Jones offered up words on her story too saying, (and I am paraphrasing), her story shaped her life because despite the stereotypes against her and other African Americans, they don’t define her. These encouraging words and many others is what the Marin Catholic Storytelling event was about, life lessons and defining moments in people lives which we all could learn from. Most of these stories showed that not everyone is what they look like on the outside, and everyone has great stories to tell.
With this last note I will say don’t be afraid to share your stories, people will love them even if it isn’t everyone. Almost everyone in the gym was listening with rapt attention, while every single one of the speakers was talking for a solid hour, so don’t be afraid to share your own 30 second piece to some of your friends or maybe just share something with somebody new. We all have stories, some thought provoking, some sad, and some so funny you can’t finish it without cracking up laughing, so why not share them? From stories, we become wiser and get to know people better which makes MC a better community. Who knows you might make a new friend by telling it. The worst that could happen from you telling your story is someone not liking it, but you know what, you shouldn’t care. It’s your life and like everyone else we have opportunities to learn from our mistakes and when you tell a story it’s you sharing a bit of wisdom no matter how small.

*In the photo above, senior Leyla Spositto shares her story.