New Teacher Interviews

Learn more about some of Marin Catholic’s new teachers with the following interviews.

Mr. Cox

0105

What subject do you teach and how did you get into teaching?

I teach English 9 and AP Language and Composition here at MC. My first job as a teacher was in Boston, where I taught Composition, Shakespeare, Philosophy, Creative Writing, and was the after-school drama teacher. In college, I wanted to be an actor, but soon realized the art of acting was very different than having it as a career. After exploring the U.S in my twenties, I found my calling in teaching high school students.

What’s your favorite part of teaching?

My favorite part of teaching is being a part of a community and having the opportunity to connect with young people over their passions.

What’s your favorite part of MC?

MC is very different than the previous schools I taught at; for one, the last school I taught at was brand new and didn’t have a good environment. Coming here, I saw how everyone likes being here, and how the students get along with each other, and form good relationships with their teachers. The high standards here allow students to find their passion.

Do you have a special talent? If, so what is it?

I can juggle, am a good performer, and an even better storyteller. Another special talent is that I can recite Back to the Future pretty well.

If you could spend the day with one person, dead or alive, who would it be and what would you do?

Going along with the Back to the Future theme, Marty McFly has been my hero ever since I was young. I would love to spend a day being him.   

Quick Facts:

I’m a Patriots fan, my favorite sport is tennis, I’m left-handed, my eyes are different colors, I’m a huge fan of college sports, and my favorite TV shows are Community and Portlandia. Finally, my favorite TV character is, by far, Ron Swanson.

Mrs. Samson

0162

What subject do you teach and how did you get into teaching? Where do you come from?  

I was originally an English teacher, but when asked to help the drama department, I found my calling. I was also a dance teacher and have previously worked with college students. I have wanted to be a teacher since being a young adult, but put raising my two children first. I’m originally from Canada, but moved here twenty years ago.

What’s your favorite part of MC?

The community! It’s kind, positive, and as a new teacher I feel welcomed by all.           

What’s your favorite part of teaching?

I love that I can work with kids who love to act and are passionate about it. I love to see them relax and get a sense of themselves.

I have sailed to New Zealand! My parents were big sailors throughout my childhood. I can also sing all of Abba’s songs.

If you could spend the day with one person, dead or alive, who would it be?

Obviously Shakspeare. I would also love to spend time with Robin Williams and Alan Rickman because they are my heroes. Helen Mirren and Emma Thompson are at the top of the list too because they have aged so gracefully throughout their careers.

Quick facts

I’m excited to build the drama theater. I teach in the same way they teach at the Globe Theater and my passion is teaching Shakespeare. Romeo and Juliet is opening on November 3rd! I’m also Canadian and was raised on a boat.

Yu Shen Yuen

0169

What influenced you into become the teacher you are today?

When I was in Hong Kong, I went to an all boys Christian school. I used to hate Bible study class. Then my 8th grade Bible study teacher changed everything for me. First of all, he was also my math teacher. Also, he was good at all kinds of sports. Basically, he was the coolest teacher in the school. He made Bible study fun and most important of all, meaningful. Instead of forcing us to memorize some meaningless verses, he told us why Jesus died for us.

So, when I became a Christian, I wanted to do the same – to become a teacher who cares and tell my students about Jesus.

Where is the one place you have dreamed of visiting?

I dream of visiting the Moon or outer space, no doubt about it.

What do you look forward to most every you come to school?

Students, definitely!

What program or application are you most proud of making?

I am most proud of the first program that I wrote in BASIC way back when I first learned how to program. It was a program to help my mom to make calculate for our family business easier for her. We never used it. But it was my first program to solve a real problem. I wish I still had that program saved somewhere.

What is one interesting thing about you that most students don’t know about you?

I was once held at gunpoint in Belfast. Fortunately, the gun was a fake one that those people were just fooling around.

How long have you been teaching?

I have been a teacher since 2002.

Michael Onofre

0159

Why did you choose to become a teacher?

I became a teacher because of all of the great teachers I had growing up. I was lucky to have some amazing people help me become the person I am today, and who –surprisingly — I still think of and keep in contact with.  Plus, I rather prefer hanging out with high schoolers all day in comparison to adults in cubicles or something like that.  

If you had a free vacation to anywhere you wanted where would you go?

I dream of visiting Patagonia and Nepal, both of which contain peaks I have yet to climb and such a rich history of mountaineering.

What do you look forward to the most everyday you come to school?

I usually look forward to those random moments during the day where a student says something I am not expecting, moments that usually make me laugh or make some face expressing my disbelief in the statement that was just put forth.  Most days have some sort of surprise in them.

What is one thing interesting about you the most of your students don’t know about?

All of my student know I rock climb because that is always on my mind.  They may not know I also box, or that I write fiction.

What is your favorite place to eat in Marin County?

This is the hardest question, and I’ll admit I don’t eat over here very often.  I am a big fan of Sol Food and Super Duper though.