Ultimate Frosh Guide 2.0

Back to Article
Back to Article

Ultimate Frosh Guide 2.0

Charlotte Coan '18, Writer

Hey freshmen! Are you a little nervous about your first year of high school? Here are some helpful tips from a current-sophomore about how to survive this year!

1. Focus in class. Your studies should come first. Remove yourself from distracting individuals in class, which may mean asking the teacher to adjust the seating chart or just working in another area or group. Playing Madden Mobile and passing notes to a desk mate is a habit that should be broken as soon as possible. Being called out in the middle of class to answer a difficult question when you haven’t been listening is awkward and embarrassing. Don’t be that kid who exclaims “Wait, what? Sorry I wasn’t listening,” every time they are called upon. It’s better to learn this skill sooner than later.
  2. Meet with your teachers. If you benefit from one-on-one learning, this is essential. If you don’t understand the homework, ask your teacher to meet up at lunch, break, or the next available time. Don’t let a topic confuse you. It’s better to ask for help than to struggle in silence and be utterly confused the night before the test. The work will begin to pile up, and staying up 4 hours a night panicking about an assignment you do not understand isn’t fun.
  3. Sleep at least 7 hours a night. This is how students survive high school. Everyone says 9 ¼ hours is essential, but between sports, friends, homework, and school, it’s hard. Picture this- it’s 3am and you’re furiously stabbing at your laptop trying to get an English essay done, your eyes are bloodshot and sting every time you blink. It’s time to give up and head to bed. Instead of jamming in late night hours to finish an assignment, give your brain and body a rest and wake up early to finish things. Isn’t that better than falling asleep in class?
  4. Stay healthy. Eat good food, get enough sleep, exercise, and take time to relax each day. Remember to stay home if you are sick! Don’t get the whole school coughing because you didn’t want to miss a period of math didn’t cover your elbow. Taking an all-day binge on Netflix with 4 bags of doritos once in awhile is okay, just don’t make it a habit!
  5. Get involved with MC. Now that you are a part of the Marin Catholic community, show your spirit. Get out your blue and white, and bring your family and friends to a game. Try out for a sport, cheer on your team, or dress up for a spirit day. It will be easier to adjust by getting involved with athletics (even if you aren’t on a team). Go Wildcats!!
  6. Introduce yourself to another student. It may seem scary and intimidating in the moment, but finding a nearby desk partner is a pretty easy task. It’s easier said than done, but just ask! Chat with them, find out their name, if they have any pets, or even what other classes they are taking. With a new environment, teachers, expectations, and social situation, every freshman is scared and nervous for the first couple weeks (or months) of high school.
  7. Take study breaks. Nobody can study science, math, english, a foreign language, and theology in a single sitting. Get up, stretch, walk around, grab a drink of water. Studies prove that walking for 20 minutes can help increase brain activity and performance. Just try not to get too distracted from your studies.
  8. Go to the Library and get to know Mrs. Teller and Mrs. Zamacona. The library is meant for everyone, not just for book lovers. With laptops, printers, calculators, flash drives, reference books, and air conditioning, the library is a nice, quiet study space that can (and should) be utilized by anyone. Mrs. Teller and Mrs. Zamacona, the Marin Catholic school librarians, are smart, friendly and always willing to help. Mrs. Teller’s husband also offers free math tutoring in the library on certain days after school, and there are math volunteers at lunch such as Mrs. Jankowski. If you need to find a book on the Ancient Mayan Civilization for global studies, here you go, Mrs. Teller or Mrs. Zamacona will know. Or your home printer jammed last night, and you need a hard copy of your assignment before A Block? They’ve got you covered!
  9. Clean out your locker and backpack. It’s hard to find a single piece of paper wedged in between the corners of your locker when it’s covered in wrappers, binders, paper, flashcards, and empty bottles. Organize your backpack so you’re not carrying around useless junk and extra items. This will avoid confusion later in class. Nothing is worse than unzipping your backpack and not being able to find anything because it’s so cluttered and disorganized.
  10. Don’t be afraid of upperclassmen. Everyone remembers their freshman year, being scared of the older kids and constantly worrying about what they’re thinking. They really aren’t that scary and they’re not that different from the youngest students in the Marin Catholic community. Remember, they were freshman only a few years ago. In high school, getting through the 4 years is a team effort, don’t be afraid to interact with the older students.
  11. Ask questions. Don’t know where the 900’s are? How do you color print a document? Want to know the day’s schedule? Or what makes the muffins in the cafeteria so good? Don’t be afraid, just ask someone. They’ll be more than happy to answer your questions, and maybe even wonder alongside you (because we will never know what makes those muffins so amazingly delectable).
  12. Make new friends. It’s an important  way to make high school enjoyable. Meet with a couple people during break, chat with someone in the hall, say hello to your peers after school. The more people you know, the easier your high school experience will get! It may take a while to find a group of close friends, but it is definitely worth it if you put in the effort. Wherever you end up, just know that it’ll be great!
  13. Know that high school will get better. Don’t worry so much, just take it one day at a time. Just something to remember- everyone will eventually embarrass themselves during their first year. It’s difficult being the youngest in a new, unfamiliar place- cut yourself some slack and don’t take things personally. Your freshman year will pass. You will no longer be the smallest kid in the hallway and the quietest in the cafeteria.

14. Have Fun! Having fun is important! Don’t get too bogged down in your school work and miss out on all the new opportunities you have available to you! Hang out with friends, be spontaneous, live positively, and get involved! Your freshman year here at MC should be fun. Dip into the pool of the high school community, and spend it wisely because time flies by so quickly in your first year, just wait and see! So study hard, sleep, and enjoy yourselves for the rest of the school year. You got this Class of 2019!