Severe Drought Affects California; Water Restrictions Imposed

Via Shutterstock

Charlotte Coan '18, Writer

Most Californians already know that our state is facing one of the worst droughts in its history — and we need to spread the word to keep it from getting drastically out of control. The future conditions predicted by weather and news reporters are not looking to relieve California. Even with past storm systems flowing over the west-coast and rain falling in the area, we are still considered to be in a state of emergency. The higher-than-normal temperatures and exceptional dry weather has worsened the effects and has already begun to impact our state. On August 19th, 2014, the Marin Municipal Water District placed restrictions on certain water uses as an effort to conserve as much as possible and has been encouraging people to report water waste. Since the drought began in 2010, many citizens have managed to live and work through bone-dry conditions considered “exceptional” by the government. California’s economy has lost over $3 billion in total from the effects of the water shortage — and it will continue to worsen as time progresses.

Screen Shot 2015-05-09 at 9.14.56 AM

U.S. Drought Monitor: California, Provided by National Centers for Environmental Information

As citizens of Marin County, we should be doing more for our state; we have to take action in order to prevent a serious water crisis. Over the course of 24 hours, one person uses around 100 gallons (on average) — this means Marin Catholic students, faculty, and staff combined use about 82,100 gallons of water a day. This means that in over 1 year, we will use around 299,966,500 gallons of water. If each one of us can do our part to use less, our impact is would be so big that we could save a large amount of money, electricity, and resources.

If we conserve water with simple, everyday actions such as turning off the water while brushing our teeth, fixing leaky pipes, fully loading the dishwasher before running it, or not letting your sink run for hot water, we can help save Marin County from the devastating long-term effects of our water shortage. With just a couple easy quick fixes a day and a little extra mindfulness about our water usage, we can help consume less as a community and prevent worsening this water disaster in our state! Please help keep California from going completely dry as a result of this difficult period of drought.